Friday, July 15, 2016

TIME ....

TIME

The cliché is time flies when you are having fun!  So where has the time gone today? I am having a blast!

With the exception of a few mini lessons interrupting the clicking of keys, today’s literacy technology class has been independent work and the whispered sharing, configuring and troubleshooting of websites by colleagues. I worked right through break time not even realizing it was that time.  I was engrossed in exploring another site I was interested in including into my project when lunch was announced.

I don’t want it to be lunch time!  I’m not ready.  I want to finish what I’ve been doing.  There isn’t enough time.  Talk about an engaged learning!

My classroom project building has been a fascinating process.  I have been totally absorbed in finding the perfect pictures and videos for my Google Slides. The learning curve for construction has been steep but incredibly enlightening.  I observe that over the course of this #UNHLit week I have become much more patient with navigating the interfaces of different websites.  Practice enables understanding.

BUT the TIME it takes to practice, to figure out, to preview videos and pictures, to lay-out, insert, delete, and construct is consuming.  Where will I find the time to do this once I am working fulltime?  My prep? Huh! What prep? It is always consumed by meetings, phone calls and emails to return.

I am assured that all this time is a valuable investment.  I have also been reminded that this is why Neebe and Roberts profess to do only one thing at a time.  BREATHE.

As my wise father always sighs, “So, if you had your druthers…”  If I had my druthers, I would want to have a scheduled paid work week before school begins to prepare documents and presentations.  Then I would have intermittent professional days during the school year to continue to work on materials.  Teachers’ time is invaluable and for Google Classroom newbies, especially those mandated by SAUs, having time to become familiar with Google Classroom tools and develop more presentations/assignments etc. for use would be invaluable. Of course, this day would be paid with bottomless cups of coffee and lunch provided!


2 comments:

  1. Lynn, I need to also keep in mind the importance of trying one thing at a time. With everything we've learned, it would be easy to get carried away and spread ourselves too thin. I think by starting small we can easily use tools and make them valuable and meaningful for our students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, Look at you go! You have taken off! It does seem overwhelming and daunting at times, but it really will be worth it in the end. It's true. One thing at a time. Try one new thing for 30 minutes a week or one "new" lesson with technology each quarter. Before you know it, you'll be soaring! Good Luck and keep in touch. Susan

    ReplyDelete